Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Ruby slippers theory


A couple of years ago I decided to embrace my love for fashion, bought a couple of books and subscribed to Vogue and ELLE, not the Latin american issues (they are always a month behind), but the US versions, despite the costs. 


About 3 months ago I was flipping my way through the November issue of ELLE and in a little corner on page 201 something shiny and red popped: the embellished suede pump by Dolce & Gabbana:



As the fashion junkie I am, I gasped the second I saw it: red, shiny and classic. Suddenly I could hear this song in my head: "follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road"...hmmm! 

So this is my theory: Oz, Dorothy and the Ruby slippers started it all and I am guessing that not only for me but for many women out there (maybe you don't know it yet), that can't seem to understand their fascination with shoes.

These shoes were not only gorgeous but they had magical powers. Who would not want them!? I am sure many shoe addicts (myself included) grew up watching this movie a million times over and over again.

Black, suede, patent, blue, green, red, you name it. A beautifully crafted and designed shoe (boots too of course!) has the power to make or break an outfit and sometimes our mood. 

So choose your drug according to your budget (Dolce & Gabbana pumps price: US $1.225). I strongly suggest to browse websites like Aldo, Steve Madden, Nine West if you can't easily afford expensive shoes. Zara will always be a great option, where you can find an inspiring and fashion forward collection of shoes in their racks for a reasonable price.




                    
 Aldo Schanno pump (US $100)                                   

Steve Madden Tristano pump (US $99.95)

If you live in Colombia, I suggest to visit places like 11:11 diseño and Zapatos 2. In 11:11 you can actually design your own pair (I did!) choose the materials, heel height, etc.

Clicking the heels of our shoes 3 times will not take us to Kansas, but finding the perfect pair will make us feel at home every time we wear them. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, as always highlight your good taste when selecting
shoes, I'd love to have those three pairs in my closet.